Thursday, July 12, 2018

What Is Art? Review of Joseph Conrads Preface. Part 2.

I personally believe that an artist needs to think – to use her mind when she is working and creating. Using ones mind allowing for concepts/ideas to be formed and created is part of the entire process of creating a work of art. Using ones mind also integrates the foundations an artist stands on with these concepts and ideas.
So it should not be surprising when I say I disagree with Joseph Conrads comment in his preface to
“The ....... of the Narcissus,” that “The artist appeals to that part of our being which is not dependent on wisdom; to that in us which is a gift and not an acquisition…” Suggesting that art is a gift is something that many creative people say about themselves, or find that others say about their work, examples include, “oh Christine you are so gifted” or an answer I frequently find myself saying, and I have blogged about, “I have no idea where it comes from, it is just there. It is a gift.“ In truth, for me anyway, it comes from my foundations and my ambitions and drives, it comes from hard work and as a friend Carole Marotti said to me, “you took the blessing and made it flourish.” That is individualism, that is uniqueness which I have always said is what art is all about.

Artwork by Christine Alfery. Watercolor and Acrylic on paper. 11x15.

No comments:

Post a Comment