Monday, February 20, 2023

Cookie Duster


 Featured image: Grandmother's Shawl


“Grandfather,” I asked, “Why do you have a mustache?”

Secretly, I didn’t like his mustache because it scratched when he kissed me on the cheek.

“My dear child, if I didn’t have one what would I dust off my cookies with?” I couldn’t answer that one. As I knew cookies didn’t need dusting because I didn’t have a mustache and I ate cookies all the time.

Shortly after that conversation with my grandfather I went off to camp. When I returned a month later my grandfather had passed away.

I never knew my grandparents very well, but have snatches of memories of them that have stayed with me my entire life like the cookie duster.

Memories are how we live forever, and the life cycle continues into infinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment